At Sprouts Art & Nature School, we aim to practice what we teach.
In helping grow the next generation of environmentalists at Sprouts, we take our responsibilities to our planet seriously.
To the best of our abilities, we:
reduce & refuse
- Reduce use of resources:
- We turn down the heat & use fans to keep cool.
- We collect rainwater for the garden & plant native plants.
- Refuse excess:
- We purchase and use only what we need.
- We pass on extras to someone or somewhere they will be used.
re-use & re-imagine
- Re-use items:
- The sink from a remodeled bathroom became our mud kitchen sink.
- Our broken deck lumber became the mud sink counter and boardwalk.
- Re-imagine items:
- A dead tree in the yard became our play structure & mulch border.
- Old 2×4’s became our new children’s tables.
replace & repair
- Repair items:
- Sewing, gluing and taping are a part of our daily routine.
- We have & know how to use tools of all kinds!
- Replace items:
- Un-repairable items are replaced with items that are sustainable, easily repaired, or less wasteful whenever possible.
recycle & responsible
- Recycle & Recycled
- We choose recycled or recycle-able materials and/or packaging.
- Responsible Practices:
- We also choose responsible companies, responsibly sourced materials, and shop local! For example, our giant bird’s nest play structure was made by students at Champaign Central High School!